Activate the decolonisation process and you end up with a treaty!” - Robbie Thorpe
Tuesday 31 August 2010, 6:30-8:30pm
MAYSAR Gym, 184-186 Gertrude St, Fitzroy
Light refreshments provided
RSVP: limited numbers. email@example.com 0409 352 297
*Robbie Thorpe, Gunai & Maar Nations, voice of Treaty Republic and Black GST
will host a panel of speakers:
*Sina Brown-Davis, Indigenous Activist & Mum from Ngati Whatua ki Kaipara
*Peter Lewis, non-Indigenous, Chair of ANTaR Victoria (Working for Land Justice and Reconciliation)
*Gary Foley, member of the Gumbaynggirr Nation, historian, lecturer and activist
- What are the pitfalls and dangers for non-Indigenous people’s involvement in supporting Indigenous struggles?
- non-Indigenous people want to help but don’t know how
- How can we get better value out of our activists? Make the best use of their time and energy?
- How can we take control of our lives with the support of conscientious Australians?
- Let’s come up with a guide/protocol for activists Our energy is taken up educating generation after generation of non-Indigenous people
A community forum for reflection and action in connection with Clare Land’s PhD research, which tries to spread and deepen conversations about how non-Indigenous people support Indigenous struggles. Clare will be analysing the forum and providing copies to the community.