Also on Thursday afternoon, the home of 72 year old socialist Jimmy O'Dea, in Bastion Point, was raided by 8 carloads of Police [ Report ]. Jimmy has been a political activist for decades, and was one of the organisers of the union green ban on Bastion Point in the 1970s. Police deny this action was connected to the 'Operation 8' dawn raids but supporters are skeptical. [ Blogs 1 | 2 ]
On Tuesday independent film-maker Rongomai Bailey was released on bail and his name suppression lifted. On Thursday, another of the Urewera 17 prisoners was publicly named. 19 year old Omar Hamed, an active Indymedia volunteer, faces 3 charges of illegal posession under the Arms Act.
Stand in solidarity! Global Day Of Action - Saturday 27th Oct, 12 noon
Organise an event in your centre for the Global Day Of Action now, and post the details here at Aotearoa Indymedia.
- Everywhere: Any letters emailed to lettersforprisoners[at]riseup[dot]net will printed out and distributed to arrestees. Obviously don't write anything that could negatively impact on you or anyone else! If you can help with processing these letters, please email the crew on the same address. For more information, see http://www.civilrightsdefence.org.nz.
- Auckland: Demonstration Saturday Oct 27th at 12 noon meeting in Aotea Square. [ Poster ] "Waha Nui" fundraiser for whanau of prisoners, Sunday 28 Oct at 6pm @ Te Karanga Gallery, 208 Karangahape Rd; films, music, korero, koha entry.
- Hamilton: Protest Oct Sat 27th, meet 12 noon @ Garden Place.
- Whanganui: Rally and march Saturday October 27th at 12 noon. Meet at the River Traders Market on Moutoa Quay (behind Taupo Quay).
- Palmerston North: Protest Saturday Oct 27, 1pm @ Corner of the Square and Church st.
- Wellington: Protest Sat 27th, meet 12 noon @ Midland Park. Bring noisemakers and rage [ Poster ] [ Press Release ]. Fundraising gig, Sat 27 Oct, 9pm, Happy, Tory St, featuring Upper Hutt Posse, Mr Sterile Assembly and more. A range of solidarity events are happening over the coming days. [ Upcoming events ].
- Christchurch: A solidarity rally and march will be held in Cathedral Square at 12noon on Saturday Oct 27th, followed by a picnic with live music [ Posters: 1 & 2 ]. A benefit gig has been organised for Thursday 1st November at the Wunder Bar in Lyttelton.
- Dunedin: Picnic on Sunday Oct 28th to discuss the Terrorism Supression Act, Tuhoe history and Parihaka. 12 noon - 2:30pm, Otago Museum Reserve.
- Melbourne, Australia: A solidarity demonstration will be held Saturday 27th in Federation Square, 12noon.
- London, England: Solidarity protest Saturday 27th, 12 noon @ NZ High Comission, 80 Haymarket, SW1Y, Westminster.
- San Francisco, AZ, USA: The Black Mesa Water Coalition and Native Movement Collective have organised a solidarity protest/fundraiser on Oct 27th, 7pm-12pm at 113 S. San Francisco Flagstaff, AZ.
Donations can be made to the defence fund. See the Civil Rights Defence Committee website for details.